Sunday, May 23, 2010

Strawberry-Banana French Toast


There are a lot of nights that Justin has "breakfast for dinner". It's a great way to save on my grocery budget, he LOVES breakfast foods and they tend to be nice and light for the summer. On nights that Jody babysits- Justin usually has frozen waffles, we call it the da-da special.

The only problem with breakfast for dinner (especially with things like waffles) is syrup. I can't see loading a toddler up with insane amounts of sugar and expecting him to fall asleep an hour later. That's why I started using "banana syrup". It's super easy! I just take a ripe banana and toss it in the food processor (or blender if you have one) with a little milk and some cinnamon. You could drizzle this syrup on anything- pancakes, waffles or french toast like we did.

For Justin's french toast I mixed 1 egg with a splash of vanilla extract and a splash of milk. I dipped 2 pieces of wheat bread into the mix and placed them into a hot pan- flipping when golden brown. I sprinkled some diced strawberries on top and added 1 serving "banana syrup".

No comments: