Friday, August 8, 2008

Human Pin Cushion (kinda long)

Today was my 3 hour test for Gestational Diabetus. To all those in the non-preggo world- you go for a 1 hr test first. You drink some orange goo and then they take your blood after an hour. You get a score based on your "glucose levels". A passing score is 140. Yours truly came away with a 146. Yup failed the 1 hour by 6 points, so it was on to the 3 hours test. The good news is that over 70% of women who fail the 1 hour, pass the 3 hour and my Dr said he wasn't concerned given my borderline score. Today's test was a little more involved- I had to fast for 12 hours. I went in to Quest and they draw blood right away. Then I had to drink a very concentrated version of the orange goo (imagine a melted freeze pop with corn syrup mixed in). They took my blood 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours after your drink. I had read that you could feel a little sick after fasting, then chugging glucose but I figured I was tougher than that. At my 1 hr draw she tried to take blood from my left arm but the vein kept "rolling" and she was getting nothing. She re-stuck me and kept pushing the needle in further 3x. That's when she decided that all 4 draws would need to come from my right arm. As soon as she started taking blood I felt reeeally weird. I felt nauseas and super hot, I could see sweat coming out of all the pores on my arms. When she finished she made me sit by the AC and drink some cold water b/c I was sweating like crazy- pretty gross. Then I started to get really upset, almost in tears and asked if this feeling meant that I was going to fail the test- she said that it was perfectly normal and would get easier as the glucose "settled". The rest of the test I was fine and although my right arm looks like a pin cushion, it's worth it for my baby.

On a lighter note- last night Jody and I were in Wegmans checking out. Anyone who knows us, knows that we NEVER call each other by our names. (Hey- technically we're newlyweds and we are totally bananas for each other so it's okay to be mushy.) So the cashier (40'ish trashy'ish woman) was like "awww sweetie? hunnie? thats so cute!" So jokingly I said, "yeah he's nice to me most of the time, ha ha" and gave my signature fake laugh. Then cashier lady pointed to my tummy and said, "well, he better be nice- look what he did to you!" and burst out laughing. People are so weird.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

OOOh! I had an almost identical experience with having my blood drawn once.. I think it was cuz the lady insisted on taking the blood from my hand and it hurt soo much.. Its so scary.. getting all sweaty and lightheaded.. I think its actually more from the pain than the blood being drawn though. I am sure you will pass your 3 hour test with flying colors..

Unknown said...

You think that hurt? Trying squeezing a watermelon out of your vagine! muah hahah