Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Spinach "meat"balls

Today's Lunch
Spinach "meat"balls
Large pear
banana yogurt


I feel like lunch should be easy but it's not. Justin hates pasta- so no spaghettios, no mac & cheese, no noodles/ravioli. Justin also doesn't really eat meat. Lunch is my biggest challenge.

I had some baby spinach in the fridge that I needed to use up so I started to search for recipes. People are doing some wacky stuff to spinach to make kids eat it. When I try a new recipe it has to be pretty simple, budget friendly or work with what I already have. These "meat"balls are a mish-mash of like 4 recipes I read. They turned out pretty cute- looking like little meatballs. When I put them in front of Justin he said, "oooh brocc-ca?" Sure! Sure honey, it's broccoli, eat up :) I kid you not- he cried for more when these were gone... I was in total shock! They were SO good. Filling and savory but super light.

Preheat your oven to 375.
*In a bowl mix together
1 C. cooked (and DRAINED)spinach (I steamed baby spinach- but frozen would work)
1 tbsp melted butter or marg.
1/4 C. Parmesean cheese
1/2 C. bread crumbs (wheat toast in food processor)
1 tsp Garlic salt
1 egg
*Drop onto cookie sheet (sprayed with Pam) by the tablespoon- or shape into balls with hands.
*Bake for 5 mins & flip. Bake 3-5 mins or until golden brown.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Love this idea! Thanks. Do you think it would be possible to make the pictures a little larger so we can see the food a bit better? Just a suggestion!

Nicole said...

I am totally making these for lunch today. I have a half a bag of baby spinach that is going to go bad any minute!

Sandi said...

How many should this have made? I did them, and got 9 balls? Also, I used fresh spinach....after I cooked it I drained and squeezed out the liquid...is this right? I never cook with fresh spinach....holy moly does it cook down!