Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Zucchini Bites


Zucchini is probably my favorite vegetable. I think you can do a million things with it. It's got a light, almost sweet flavor. We always plant it in our garden. For 1 99cent pack of seeds I'll probably get 20 zucchini, the size of Justin's leg! They're the best when they're picked small though. Then there are really no seeds to deal with. Once a small zucchini is peeled, the slices look just like apples, so Justin was more likely to try it. Yesterday was one of those weird day where you have a bunch of odd leftovers to use up. This was SOOO easy to make and it was a huge hit!

1/2 small zucchini, sliced about 1/2" thick
1 cup Bread Crumbs (1 toasted Wheat Hamburger bun thrown in Magic Bullet)
Garlic Salt (optional)
1 egg (beaten)
Olive Oil spray

I set up a little assembly line leading to the pan on the stove. A plate of the zucchini, then a bowl with beaten egg, a bowl of the bread crumbs (I added Garlic salt- seems to be Justin's fave)and finally a HEATED pan sprayed generously with Olive oil spray.

Dip the zucchini in the egg, then breading and then into the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes each side or until golden.

I cut the zucchini in half and let Justin go at them. He was a little tentative at 1st so I offered him 1 with "dip"/ketchup and it sealed the deal. Then he was so into eating them he didn't even dip another at all.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Yum! Our zucchini plants are covered with flowers so I know we'll have a bunch very soon- can't wait to try out this recipe!

Sandi said...

Do you peel the zucchini first?