Monday, June 14, 2010

Turkey Shepherd's Pie

To be honest, I'd never even heard of Shepherd's Pie until I met Jody. I make a pretty darn good shortcut version! If you served this with applesauce on the side it makes a great complete meal. As far as veggies go, I like to use the carrot,bean,pea, corn mix. It took a couple of tries to convince Justin that it would be yummy but once he got one bite in he started scarfing it down. I like to make a whole 9x13 pan so we can have lunch the next day too!



Ingredients
Ground Turkey (comes in 20oz package at Tops)
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, defrosted & drained
1 cup brown gravy (I use the McCormick low sodium packets- they're SO easy)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 cups Mashed Potatoes
I made mine out of russet potatoes, skim milk, lowfat sour cream and margarine
you can use your own recipe or instant if you'd like.
1/2 C Shredded Cheddar

Preheat oven to 400*
In a large skillet, cook onion on medium until it's soft. (This would be a good time to make your mashed potatoes)Add Garlic, cook 1 minute. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Stir in mixed vegetables. Season with salt & pepper. Turn off heat and stir in gravy until your meat/veg mix is well coated. Pour mix into 9x13 pyrex/glass dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly on top. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and bake 5 more minutes. Let stand for at least 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

loove shepherds pie. I wanna make some now.

Sandi said...

We love this too...I use salt free Veg all sometimes, and even Bob Evans mashed potatoes....easy peasy!