Monday, July 21, 2008

The good, the bad and the disturbing.

The Bad: NYS disability is a joke. Today we had a meeting with the new life insurance/benefits people we are using for work. We were given the option to purchase extra short term diasability. NYS gives you 50% of your income for 6 weeks after a vaginal birth- sounds great right? Who needs extra coverage? Nope it's 50% up to $170 and then it's taxed. I learned that a new mom will be paid about $145-150 each week under our fantastic disability law. Ouch!

The good: This plan through my work is like $6 per pay period and it supplements an additional $200 each week. That is GREAT news. Of course, there's a catch, during the 1st year, those with pre-exisiting conditions (aka pregnancy) can only receive 2 weeks of the "extra benefit". I thought about being sneaky but then the woman explained that once your claim is filed they will check with your doctor to see at what date any treatments began- D'oh! Basically since I had a "diagnostic assessment" (pregnancy test) and treatments from my doc, it's a pre-exisiting condition. Regardless of pre-exisiting, I'm still scoring like $400 more than I budgeted for my maternity leave so I'm very, very excited =)

The disturbing: Have you seen that story on msn about the murdered pregnant woman? Some crazy person kidnapped a preggo, murdered her, cut open her uterus, stole her unborn baby and then tried to pass it off as her own. I guess this isn't that unlikley of an occurrence...WTF is wrong with people?!?!?!?

No comments: